Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Change Of Cast

You may be uncomfortable with one of the pics.
Photobucket
When L came back from school, she gave Z this drawing paper. We were surprised and very touched by her action.smile She loves her brother very much! Z was all smile when he saw it and read the paper on his own.

Before we went for the appointment, I told Z what to expect when we are at the hospital but I wasn't sure what to tell him about the pins. I knew that we will see the pins 'sticking' out from the elbow and I knew what to expect as I check the internet. Eventually, I told him briefly while waiting to see the doctor but I don't think he really understands.

We spent about 20 mins at the registration counter and then we went to the x-ray center. managed to read the Little Einstein storybook with little assistance from me while waiting for his turn. While waiting for the x-ray result, we noticed people after us has already collected their x-rays and we were still waiting. The staff who took the x-ray earlier for Z came to apologise that he needs to take another one. Haiz...sad
Photobucket
While waiting to see Doctor Lim, he had his snacks.

Back at the clinic, we waited again till LZdaddy joined us after sending jiejie for class. Finally we got to see Doc Lim. He told us that he is very happy that Z is healing very well. I was concerned when I saw the line on the bone but Doc told me not to worry and said that it is considered healing very well. I saw the 3 pins from the x-rays and my heart ache.... I told Doc that I am worried coz this is the 2nd time he fractured his arm and if there's anything I could do, like giving him calcium vitamin. He said by looking at the x-rays, Z's bone seemed ok and if I am worried, I can opt for bone density test the next visit. Yup! We shall do that.

After that, we went to change his cast to plaster cast. He was fine when they cut the layers of bandage. Just when they were removing the plaster that was over the pins, he screamed! He saw the pins! We saw it too! But I didn't get to see the other one pin. I started tearing....cry His elbow looked swollen... He cried and screamed throughout.... From the time he saw it, to the nurse cleaning it, till the cast was done. No matter what, we can't pacify him and I felt so helpless. I can't even calm him down..... The plaster technician and the nurse were very nice and patient, they tried their best to calm him and were very gentle while cleaning him and putting the plaster.
Photobucket
2 of the 3 pins... As you can see, his elbow is still swollen. We decided to take a pic of it to remind him to be careful in the future and not to play on the monkey bar anymore.

Forgot to mention that while cutting the bandage, we tried to distract him by asking him to choose the colour of the cast. We knew that he always like green and orange but was surprised with what he chose, RED! He told us, "Since I can't decide which favourite to take, I take red. I think red is nice and I like it." Anyway, doesn't matter lah... Most important he recover fast.

The nurse told me the next checkup, they will remove the pins. I can't imagine what he will go through! She advised me to give him painkiller (which was prescribed to him earlier) before that.
Photobucket
Taken after change of cast. Look at his teary eyes. My poor boy....

While waiting to make payment, I talked to Z.... He told me he was scared when he saw the pins and I think he was in shock too. It was not so much about the pain but the look of the pins sticking out scared him.
Photobucket
Picture taken in the evening with jiejie. Noticed his cast is so much smaller right?

He said this cast is lighter and he is able to move his hands better than the previous one. I know for the next checkup, I may have to drag him into the room to remove the pins. I pray that things will be alright on that day and he recovers well...

After picking jiejie, we went to get him a pressie, something that we promised we would get for him during the change of cast and for his bravery.

11 comments:

Angeline said...

Ohhhhh.....look soooo painful! YOu've got a strong boy there! How could he smile under such circumstances!

Rachel said...

my gosh! i would have freak out if I'm him! Pls tell him he is really a very brave boy! Mommy still can take photo somemore..not bad...so steady : P

Jacss said...

ouch ouch... painful for d eyes, even more so for d poor boy!
speedy recovery please....

why not consider putting him to sleep before doing d pin removal... coz being an adult also can't imagine how to tolerate that!

Missy Sasha N Mini Myra said...

Poor lil boy, I really don't know how he can stands the pain. I felt irritated and pain if there is a pin there. He is a tough boy.. LZMommy, u no need worry for him so much and I think he knows how to take care himself next time. You have to take care yourself too...

eastcoastlife said...

oh dear! What happened!? He must be in pain. ouch

Health Freak Mommy said...

What a nice bright red cast! He's really a very brave and tough boy, hugs to him.

Jean Chia aka Ms.Yummy~licious said...

omg! it looks so painful! Z is a brave son! Bravo, Z!!

allthingspurple said...

Cant blame him for panicking, yea? That was an out of place thing on his arm. I would have been taken aback too, not to say the least. He is such a brave boy in going through all these.

Mommy Lose Weight said...

ouch! that definitely hurts & Z is such a brave boy!

imelda said...

Ouch im reminded of my youngest son when he had an arm fracture when he was a kid. he went through the same experience of pain, twas nerve-numbing for me.

Btw, sis i have added u in my blog already, i hope u can add me here, too. Thanks.

LHS said...

Oh,gosh...i was shocked too when i saw the pin, hope Z gets well soon..

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

MyBabies

MyBabies