Sunday, June 08, 2008

An Unpleasant Incident

We were at Chinatown OG today, LZ like taking the car lift.... The day was fine till we met a very rude woman who doesn't know how to talk to a child!

What happened was LZ and I went to the toilet in OG. L used one cubicle, Z and I went to another one. After peeing, Z asked if he can wait outside the cubicle for me (he usually stay in there till I'm done), so he can wash his hands first. I thought why not? Now that he is older, he shouldn't be in there with me. I told him to wait just outside the door....

Then I heard someone came in.... She raised her voice at Z, saying something like "Scuse me(excuse me) ! Stand here block the way, don't know how to move away blah blah blah! " I was so mad that I rushed out from the toilet. By then, she was already in the toilet. My poor boy was in shocked and he looked stunned! L was standing next to him and she came out from the toilet just before me. I asked L what happen.... She told me the woman was with a little boy (about Z's age), was very fierce to Z and scolded him.

I was very angry and told the woman (who was still in the toilet) that he shouldn't shout at my boy and could have asked him nicely to move away. She shouted at me and said nasty things. I don't like to quarrel with others in public or to raise my voice. But this time I couldn't take it! I shouted at her and said something like:

Me: He is just a kid, you shouldn't shout at him!
SHE: He stand there and block the way blah blah...... AND she used 'ugly' words!
Me: If you can't speak English, then don't speak! My boy doesn't understand what is 'scuse'! You are an adult and here you are shouting at a small boy! Shame on you!

All this time, this woman didn't come out from the toilet.... Shouted at my boy yet don't dare to come out and face me?

We walked out of the toilet.... By then, handful of people was outside the toilet. I didn't care! I told LZdaddy what happened and he wanted to wait for that woman to come out. I didn't want to... I was concern for Z. He was very quiet, probably still in shocked. No one has ever shouted at Z and to think this stxxxx woman did that! It was a very trivial matter and she shouted at him! I told LZdaddy to go coz I don't want Z to face that woman again and I was trying to calm him. I assured Z he did nothing wrong, he was just following my instruction, to stand outside the cubicle and he didn't mean to block others. It took some time for him to be back to his normal self.....

I hate myself for allowing him to wait outside for me.... I shouldn't have... Next time, he will wait for me in the cubicle...

16 comments:

allthingspurple said...

I would have told that woman off too !! And waited till she come out. DH always say that i was always the quarrelsome type but the thing is, i always stand my ground, even if it meant a public scene. Bravo to you !! Although some may beg to differ. ha ha

Angie said...

I would have shouted back at the rude woman too! Shame on her for being a negative demonstration to her own son.

but if i were you, i wont ask Z to wait inside the cubicle next time. That might make him think that he had done wrong. Perhaps you can teach him to move a little to make way for others instead.

Aces Family said...

Hi LZmommy,

Thanks for sharing, this is a pre-lesson for me, as i do the same thing when i go to the toilet with the children. But so far, has yet to meet this kind of woman.

It's Mother nature that you stand up for Z, he will know that mommy is always there for him !!

This may be a shocking experience to him but on positive note - he will learn that this is the reality of the society and you cannot always be there to shield/defence him. Next time he will know better. : )

cheers,
astee

sunshinensunflower said...

I know exactly how u feel cz' Nutty has an assistant teacher who speaks rudely to all the children ( something like the rude woman in ur post)and I am very concerned :-(

I guess our value in bringing up the children is quite the same, we talk to our children nicely and in a mature manner. So it can be very upsetting when someone comes along and starts to sprout nonsense or rubbish to them.

If I were you, I would do exactly the same thing too. Would " screw" the woman left and right. If we don't defend our kids, who would, right? Kudos to you for doing that!

Poor Z, he is such a good boy and yet has to receive such shitty treatment from a mad woman. Tell him it's really not his fault and he has done no wrong.

And shame on the woman, for exhibiting such behaviour as a mother in front of her own kid ;-(

* frown*

eastcoastlife said...

You should have waited for the woman to come out and see her face. Some adults really treat other people's kids like some sort of animals or pests. They are setting bad examples for their children.

Katong CC Open House, bring your kids to take a look at some of the programmes they organise. Meet me for Nonya kuehs. :)

MomsyWorld said...

hmm...this woman is really xxxxxx...

Hope Z is fine after the incident. I would have shouted at that woman if i am faced with such a situation.

U did nothing wrong, it's plain unlucky to have met such a rude woman.

Missy Sasha N Mini Myra said...

If I were you, I will knock on her toilet door and asked her what happened? Can't she see that Z standing there must be waiting for someone.
Just asked her sarcastically whether her brain growth on her ass! I don't care what other people comment coz I know we speak for our rights.

Noe said...

Hi LZmommy,
She's really mean. =S
Likewise, I would have raised my voice at that lady too. "Aunty, was he really blocking your way or you are taking too much space?!"

Hope Z has recovered from this nasty episode already. We don't enjoy such experiences but they shall make us street-wiser!!!

lli_leng said...

Oh gosh, this women was really rude!!! I will scold back the women too. Z must be very frightened that day but he was a very brave boy. He did not cried when get scolded. If my children, sure they will cry on the spot.

Lily

kelly said...

That's a nasty woman and you did the right thing. If I were you, I would wait for her to come out together with Hubby and let Hubby "lecture" her again..

Rachel said...

neither u nor z did anything wrong! I told my girls to do that too!

Given me, I would wait for her to come out and confront her! Daddy usually will not let these type of bully off easily. She is lucky to have met you and not ME! : P

Angeleyes said...

She dare not come and face you means she is gutless. What a b*****! If it happens to me I sure won't let her off so easily!

teni said...

i think i wud have done the same thing. i cant stand ppl who have no love at all for lil children. if it happens to other ppl kids i wud have scolded her back too, not just for my own kids! and truly shame on her, she is a fellow mother as well!!

teni

beaglesg said...

Bravo to you who have stand firm for what is right. I would do the same to protect my girls too. Feel so sorry for Z. Hope he is alright now and not be too affected by the incident.

LZmommy said...

Thank you Mommies :) I feel better after reading all your comments. I guessed all of you would do the same as I did or more. I should have stayed on the see the woman's face but I was concern for Z then.

Thinking back, I should have left Z with his daddy and stayed to scold the woman right in front of her! Shame on her for doing this to my boy and in front of her boy.

I agree with what some of you have said, this is a good lesson for us.

Noe & Lli_Leng
Thank you for dropping by and leaving comments :)

J@n!ce said...

I usually get Zac to stay with me inside the cubicle just in case something happened or that he ran out of the toilet himself first. I cant stand pple shouting at my boys too. its really an unpleasant incident & I hope Z is fine :)

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

MyBabies

MyBabies